My first horse and my first rehab case is Chaco. (He is the horse on the home page of my website). I’ve learned so much from him over the years about what it means to be a horse. He’s still going at 35 years old. This post is in honor of him.
If Chaco could talk, here’s the top 10 things he’d say me:
1. Unconditional Love. This is the way to go. By the way, love and loss go together.
2. Just be, don’t fix.
3. Rest your head on the softest, most luxurious pillow you will ever experience, my coat.
4. This is what works for me. It may not work for anyone else.
5. It’s not that bad. I’ve been through worse and lived to tell about it.
6. How to listen: Turn off the head, open the heart.
7. Stop doing. Nothing fun happens in doing. Try just being. That’s where all the magic is.
8. What schedule? Throw out the clock (except when you take my pulse). Slow down and experience the natural rhythm of the day. I’ll show you how, but you have to be with me for at least half a day. Full day is preferable. You could even try overnight. Now that would be an experience.
9. Mary, you’re just fine how you are. In fact, you’re more that fine. You’re great and the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Not only did you save my life, you brought me back to life. You love me just the way I am.
10. Do for yourself what you’ve done and are doing for me.
Here’s to Chaco and many more years of learning from him. Thank you, Chaco!